I don’t know if they exist or if my mother created them. What I do know is that they’re delicious! What am I talking about? Rice pudding thalers with apple! The combination of the neutral yeast dough and the sweet rice pudding is perfect. For more softness you can add apple. It is also a small, healthy treat for in between.
I was never the type to bake or cook. Eating? Yes, of course. But not for baking or cooking. After I baked brownies for my boyfriend’s parents several times, I started enjoying it more and more.
So one morning I was lying in bed and thought it would be nice to bake something. I wanted to try a yeast plait because it is easy and I learned from my friend’s mother how to make yeast dough. Lost in thought, I looked around my room and saw the packet of rice pudding lying on my table. A memory came to my mind – years ago, my mother made these delicious rice pudding thalers. I remembered their softness and how juicy they were. Tasty in every way.
The problem? I had no recipe. Fortunately they’re very simple. So I prepared them just as I thought – without a recipe.
I am very pleased to be able to tell you the result – the rice pudding is delicious! I have managed to make them the way I remember them.
I don’t want to keep this delicious pastry for myself but share it with you.
You’ve tried them? Let me know your conclusion in the comments!
For the sweet yeast dough
- 500g flour
- 1 fresh yeast cube
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 250ml milk or water
For the rice pudding
- 1l milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 250g rice pudding
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 apples (sweet or sour)
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (circulating air).
How to make the dough
- Put the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the fresh yeast cube crushed into a glass. Now fill the glass with enough lukewarm water. Stir until the yeast has dissolved in the water.
- Now add the dissolved yeast to the flour-salt-sugar-mix.
- Now add some milk and knead the dough.
- Repeat the process until the dough is smooth and still slightly sticky. Attention!: The dough may stick to your fingers, but when it comes off, there should be no residue left on your finger!
- Cover the bowl with a lid or tea towel and place it in a warm (sunny) place.
How to make the rice pudding
- Cut the apples into small pieces.
- Put the milk with the sugar in a pot and heat it up.
When the milk starts to froth and comes to the top, remove the pot from the stove and add the rice.
- Put the pot back on the stove, this time on a low setting.
- Add the cinnamon ant the apples.
- Now stir the rice pudding until it becomes firm.
The dough and the rice pudding
- Put flour on the work surface and knead the dough again until it hardly sticks anymore.
- Divide the dough into equally sized pieces. These are then formed into flat thalers.
- Now spread the rice pudding evenly on the dough pieces.
- Now bake the thalers until the dough turns golden brown. Here it helps to look at the dough base.